These are projects posted by the students of Dr. Gove Allen at Brigham Young University. These students have taken one semester-long course on VBA and generally have had no prior programming experience

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Joseph Detro Final Project

Executive Summary
I work as an accountant at Prodigy Promos, a local promotional product supplier. Prodigy supplies all sorts of promotional products and does a lot of t-shirt screen-printing and embroidery. As part of my weekly responsibilities I have to enter the UPS invoice information into the accounting program and reconcile the company credit card. Both of these tasks are time consuming and tedious, so I decided to automate the process to decrease the time I spend on them.

UPS Invoice
Each week we get an invoice for our UPS account with details for all the shipments sent out. These invoices have tons of detail and a charge for each box that is shipped. Since most orders have more than one box (sometimes over 20 boxes), there are numerous charges that need to be entered each week. My workbook logs onto our UPS account, downloads all the new invoices, and generates a report with all the charges grouped by PO number. By grouping the charges by PO, the number of charges I must enter into the accounting software is about ¼ of the charges listed on the invoice.  

Credit Card Reconciliation
Every week to reconcile the company credit card I have to log onto the website and determine which charges have posted since the last time I reconciled the credit card. At times this is tricky because charges will post with dates prior to the date I last reconciled the credit card, causing me to take time to determine why the card does not balance. With the touch of a button, my workbook logs onto the website and downloads all the new charges, and adds up the charges so that I can easily reconcile the card.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive