These are projects posted by the students of Dr. Gove Allen at Brigham Young University. These students have taken one semester-long course on VBA and generally have had no prior programming experience

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

City Housing Search

Moving to a new city can be a daunting task, and choosing a place to live can be even more so. This last summer I moved on short notice from Provo, UT to Charlotte, NC. Upon arrival to Charlotte, I began my search for reasonably priced housing where I would live during the year. After several days of visiting apartment complexes, I received some useful advice from an apartment manager. The particular complex that I was looking at was unacceptable to live at, so I asked the manager if she knew of any apartments in the area that offered short-term leases. She replied, “You know, there is one place that I know of that offers short-term leases that……wait, that won’t work for you. There was a deadly shooting there this morning; I couldn’t recommend you live there.” That made me think of how I could search for housing when moving to a new city. 

 I created this neighborhood housing search program which takes into consideration several variables that I hold to be important when choosing a housing location. Median rental cost, City Housing Search crime index rating, and time and distance to a specified location (e.g., work location). The program has a simple, easy to use interface, and should run for most cities with no problems. See write-up for more details.

City Housing Search - Write-up 
City Housing Search - Workbook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive