These are projects posted by the students of Dr. Gove Allen at Brigham Young University. These students have taken one semester-long course on VBA and generally have had no prior programming experience

Thursday, April 7, 2011

VBA Flash Card System

In my Business Law class this semester I’ve been amazed at the many nuances and intricacies of the legal system. So amazed, in fact, that I’ve started getting nervous about the final test. I’ve realized that it’s going to be a bit of a challenge without some help. To prepare, then, I decided to build a flash card system that I can use to study.

Similar flash card systems have been developed by students in the past (see http://vbaprojects.blogspot.com/2010/12/flash-card-machine-brian-baugh.html for one example), but these projects lacked a few functions that I really hoped for like a true GUI interface, a simple way to browse and edit cards, and ways to hide cards that have been amply learned.

To fill this need, I have designed a fully GUI-based flashcard system. The management side of the application allows adding, removing, and editing cards. The study side features simple controls to move forward and backward through cards, to mark cards as learned (which hides them from study), to reset all cards that have been hidden, and to display hints the user has input. As an additional challenge, I added the ability to display brief snippets retrieved from Wikipedia on any given term.

Excel Workbook: http://files.gove.net/shares/files/11w/bkowalk/Flashcard_System.xlsm
Writeup: http://files.gove.net/shares/files/11w/bkowalk/Flashcard_System_Writeup.pdf

-Britton Kowalk

2 comments:

Blog Archive